How can I protect myself from scams and fraud when viewing properties?
How to protect yourself from scams and fraud
- Do your research: Before you view any property, do some research on the property and the agent or agency handling it. Check the agent or agency’s credentials and make sure they are legitimate. You can also check online reviews to see what other people have said about them.
- Be wary of scams: There are many scams out there that target people who are looking to buy or rent a property. Be wary of any property that seems too good to be true, or any agent or agency that asks for money upfront.
- Meet the agent or agency in person: Before you view any property, make sure to meet the agent or agency in person. This will give you a chance to get to know them and see if they are legitimate.
- View the property in person: Don’t just rely on photos or videos of the property. Make sure to view the property in person so that you can see it for yourself.
- Bring someone with you: When you view the property, bring someone with you. This will make you feel safer and it will also be a witness if anything goes wrong.
- Trust your gut: If something doesn’t feel right, don’t proceed with the transaction. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
Here are some additional tips to protect yourself from scams and fraud when viewing properties:
- Use a secure payment method: When you pay for a property, use a secure payment method, such as a credit card or PayPal. This will give you some protection if the transaction is fraudulent.
- Don’t give out personal information: Don’t give out any personal information, such as your bank account number, to anyone you don’t know and trust.
- Be careful about what you click on: Be careful about what links you click on, especially if they come from emails or text messages. These links could lead to malicious websites that could steal your personal information.